Thursday, November 5, 2009

Disney's "Princess" - Method vs Application


Does an idea have to be anything new in order to be innovative? Disney’s “The Princess and the Frog” will be its first hand-animated full-length film in six years. Obviously the animation techniques of hand-drawn films are nothing new, but the context of the animation has changed. Over the past several years, moviegoers have seen an influx of 3D movies – not only fancy 3D graphics like those seen in Shrek, but movies that require the use of special glasses such as Meet the Robinsons or, currently, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. In an era when movies literally pop off the screen, a film that features a traditional animation style has the potential to stand out as something different, even new-feeling.
I think that this movie represents innovation because it breaks from the current norm. It seems to me that old ideas, methods, and technology, if applied in a new situation or context can be considered innovative. Old ideas can be solutions to new problems, causing the application of these old ideas to be innovative.
Disney’s return to old animation techniques seems to indicate that as a production house, it is open to free-thinking – or at least is now. In 2003, Disney made a commitment to computer-based animation after several “hand-drawn flops” (Smith). The studio has changed this strategy, though, acknowledging that this films failed on account of poor writing, not bad animation.
Can an idea exist separately from its application? In my mind, to consider Disney’s return to hand-drawn animation as innovative implicitly states a separation between the technology, method, etc. and its application. Both can be innovative independently.

Smith, Ethan. "For 'Princess,' Disney Returns to Traditional Animation Style." Wall Street Journal 2 Nov. 2009: A1. Print.

6 comments:

  1. I recently did a project on Disney for Learning Organizations and was very surprised to see this blog post. Our group looked at in what ways Disney was or was not a learning organization. During this project I learned that there is a recent push towards the digital age and away from the traditional "Walt Way" of doing things with the new CEO Bob Iger. This movie seems to be in direct opposition to their new strategy so I wonder if this has to do with the economy? I would assume that is much cheaper to make a movie using traditional animation methods. If this is the case I would probably argue that this is not innovative and was in fact more of reactionary survival strategy for Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a huge fan of the Disney princess movies, I am so excited for this! I like this idea of contextual innovation that you suggest. I agree that Disney's return to 2-D animation is innovative. Disney seems to be creating an entirely new market with this departure- one that audiences are sure to buy right into!

    It will be interesting to see if the film generates as much popularity as their traditional princess films. In an age where audiences are spoiled with Pixar animations, perhaps a new 2-D film has to be 5x as special as older, traditional 2-D films.

    For anyone that's interested, here's the trailer for the film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6DmEgtibOg

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a huge fan of the Disney princess movies, I am so excited for this! I like this idea of contextual innovation that you suggest. I agree that Disney's return to 2-D animation is innovative. Disney seems to be creating an entirely new market with this departure- one that audiences are sure to buy right into!

    It will be interesting to see if the film generates as much popularity as their traditional princess films. In an age where audiences are spoiled with Pixar animations, perhaps a new 2-D film has to be 5x as special as older, traditional 2-D films.

    For anyone that's interested, here's the trailer for the film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6DmEgtibOg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is an article that shows how Disney is pushing away from the "Walt Way" that I described in my earlier post.

    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Dispatch/default.aspx?feat=1354334

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is an innovative idea. By having a movie in 2-D, they are reaching out to the audience that grew up with these movies and reeling them back in. I think its a good strategy for Disney, as they are expanding this fan base. They have already starting releasing some of the songs on iTunes to help generate more buzz for this movie. I'm interested to see the numbers for this movie and if its performs as well or under what is expected of it.

    I personally am really excited for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While, I grew up watching the traditional 2-D movies and loved them, I've also grown to appreciate the new 3-D technology as well. For me, I see Disney's endeavor of reviving their hand-drawn technique as innovation, definitely! However, my concern is for those young audiences you've only experienced the high tech movies. I'm not sure if the hand-drawn method will be as well-regarded given that this new generation has grown up with something different and in my opinion edgier. Hopefully the merits of the storyline and not the animation method will determine if this new movie is a success.

    ReplyDelete