Wednesday, September 23, 2009

More on Innovation Beyond Invention

Work-Life Balance

As someone who has never personally entered the workforce, instead watching friends and family members of the Y Generation from a distance as they battle to make sense of their career journey. One of my particular concerns is the challenge for new "work-forcers" to balance their outside time with their career. Do you really need to check your blackberry as every new e-mail buzzes itself into awareness? Does your boss really expect you to reply immediately to an insanely early Saturday morning update? What if you were out of service, without your Iridium phone, in the mountains for the weekend? Is this really what it takes for this economy's job-beggars to prove that they were worth hiring? I ran across this topic of innovative work-life balance programs and incentives being implemented by some very enticing companies (at least for someone who despises the constant pull of business e-mails and task masters). The following links are some of the more interesting concepts I came across during my personal career research.

Work Better? Work Less.

Working Mothers Look No Further

24-hour E-mail Culture

The 4-Day Week

Enjoy and feel free to let me know if any other articles struck you, or if you found anything about companies in Nashville that look like they might make sense for someone like me!

1 comment:

  1. Having come from the "work force" into Grad school, I can tell you my way of balancing life. When I'm at work, I do work related things. When I'm not at work, I do personal and non-work related things. And I don't budge. It sounds simple, and it is, but the difficult part is enforcing it. Your boss might balk at it at first, but deep down inside, they will respect you because they wish they had the courage not to get sucked in by work every waking hour of their day.

    ReplyDelete